- ♦ Planning studies in Japan
- "Scholarship for International Students in Japan 2021-2022" https://www.studyinjapan.go.jp/en/planning/by-style/pamphlet/ (Japanese and English)
- ♦ JAPAN STUDY SUPPORT
- Scholarship Opportunities. "JAPAN STUDY SUPPORT" Scholarships. https://www.jpss.jp/ko/my/scholarship/application/ (English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indonesian and Thai)
- ♦ HIECC International Student Supporter Program
- 90 international students studying at universities in Hokkaido will be chosen as HIECC International Student Supportes. The International Student Supporters have mission to deliver a message to tell the beauty of Hokkaido by using social media and to join exchange programs in Hokkaido. 50,000 JPY / a year will be provided to each supporter as a promotion cost.
Please confirm the details at each university for further information.
URL (under construction)
- ♦ Support by City of Kitami
- Applicants could be vocational school, junior college, university and graduate school students (incl. research scholars)
- U.S. Consulate General Sapporo
- Consulate-General of the Republic of Korea in Sapporo
- Consulate-General of the Russian Federation in Sapporo
- Consulate-General of the People's Republic of China in Sapporo
- Canadian Government Trade Office, Sapporo
- ♦ Student dormitories that accept overseas students
- Sapporo International Student Center
https://www.city.sapporo.jp/kokusai/shisetsu/e-sisc-top.html (English and Japanese)
- ♦ Comprehensive Renters Insurance
For those wishing to enter private-sector lodging, the Comprehensive Renters Insurance system enables overseas students to search for accommodation with the need for a guarantor.
Comprehensive Renters Insurance (Japan Educational Exchanges and Services)
http://www.jees.or.jp/crifs/index.htm (English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese)
- ♦ National Health Insurance (NHI)
In Japan, a national medical insurance system is available to reduce medical costs.
Foreign residents who will be staying in Japan for three months or more have to subscribe to the National Health Insurance program (NHI; also known as “Kokuho”).
Note: Students who will be studying in Japan for less than three months should contact the school where they will be studying.
Procedures for enrollment
Register for the National Health Insurance at the municipal office after completing resident registration in your local municipal office.
Health insurance premium
The annual premium is about JPY 20,000 in most cases. The premium varies according to the municipality and your income. A premium reduction plan or support system may be available to students, so you should contact the municipal office.
- ♦ Accident/property insurance and kyosai
To cover expenses incurred by an unexpected accident, etc. that is not covered by National Health Insurance, there are casualty insurance plans and personal liability insurance plans into which international students can also enroll. Information on various types of insurance will be provided by your school. It is a good idea to take them into consideration.
Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research ("Gakkensai")
Univesity CO-OP's Kyosai
https://kyosai.univcoop.or.jp/english/index.html (Japanese and English)
Visa and immigration procedures
- ♦ Visa and Immigration procedures (Immigration Services Agency of Japan)
- Explanations regarding the procedures for entering Japan
Everyday information and advice
- Welcome to Hokkaido (Hokkaido government)
- This is a multilingual version of the Hokkaido website. Here one can obtain various kinds of information, including that on matters concerning daily life, disaster prevention, tourism and business.
https://www.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/foreign/english.htm (English, Chinese, Korean and Russian)
- Hokkaido Ryugakusei Net (operated by Hokkaido China Work)
- This website is intended to build a network of overseas students living in Hokkaido, former exchange students who have returned to their home countries and companies doing business in Hokkaido, with the aim of cultivating relationships between people and promoting further economic and international exchanges. Information on matters concerning daily life, jobs, etc., can be found here.
- Multilingual information for daily life (Council of Local Authorities for International Relations)
- Gathering information concerning living in Japan
http://www.moj.go.jp/isa/support/portal/index.html (English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese)
- Living Guide (by Hokkaido Government)
- https://www.pref.hokkaido.lg.jp/ss/tsk/foreign/english_live.htm (English, Chinese, Korean and Russian)
- A Guide to Living in Sapporo (City of Sapporo)
- Features useful information on life in Sapporo for non-Japanese residents.
https://www.sapporolife.info/en (English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese)
- Hokkaido International Foundation
- An international exchange organization based in Hakodate, providing advice for foreigners and international exchange events for overseas students.
http://www.hif.or.jp/student.html (Japanese and English)
Japanese language schools
- IAY International Academy (Sapporo)
- http://www.myiay.com/j/e/ (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- Japanese Language Institute of Sapporo (Sapporo)
- http://jli.co.jp/en/ (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- Sapporo Language Center (Sapporo)
- http://www.sprlc.jp/en.html (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- Soken Gakuen Kanyobi Japanese Language Course (Sapporo)
- http://www.kanyobi-nihongo.jp/e/index.html (English and Chinese)
- Hokkaido AskGate Japanese Language School Sapporo Campus (Sapporo)
- https://www.askgate-jpschool.com/en-top (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- Hokkaido Japanese Language Academy Sapporo Main Campus (Sapporo)
- http://h-nihongo.org/en/ (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- Yu Language Academy Sapporo (Sapporo)
- https://yula.jp/en/top/ (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- SIL Sapporo Nihongo Gakko (Sapporo)
- http://www.silnihongo.com/homeeng.html (English and Chinese)
- Hokkaido Japanese Language School (Sapporo)
- https://www.hokkaido-jals.com/ (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
- Hokkaido HSL Japanese Language School (Eniwa)
- http://www.shizunai.co.jp/hsl/ (Japanese)
- Oneworld Japanese Language School (Asahikawa)
- https://www.asahikawa-jls.com/ (Japanese)
- Asahikawa Welfare Professional Training College (Japanese Course) (Higashikawa Town)
- http://www.hokko.ac.jp/kyokufuku/course_nihongo.html (Japanese)
- Higashikawa Japanese Language School (Higashikawa Town)
- http://higashikawa-jls.com/ (Japanese)
- Japanese Language School in Tokachi (Obihiro)
- https://www.jls-tokachi.com/en/ (English, Indonesian and Vietnamese)
- Nihongo Support Hokkaido (Obihiro)
- https://www.nihongosupport-hk.or.jp/ (Japanese)
- Iwatani Higashi Hokkaido Japanese Language School (Nakashibetsu Town)
- http://icb-nihongo.jp/eng (English, Mongolian, Chinese and Vietnamese)
- Japanese Language Education Program, Hokkaido College of Education and Welfare (Muroran)
- Ohara College of Bookkeeping, Civil Service, Information Technology and Medical Clerks, Hakodate School (Hakodate)
- https://school.o-hara.ac.jp/hakodate/ (Japanese)
- Japan International Language Academy Hakodate (Hakodate)
- https://j-ila.com/en/ (English, Chinese, Korean and others)
Career options after graduating university
- ♦ Employment Support Program for Foreign Students
(organized by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare)
- http://www.ryugakusei-support.com/ (Japanese, English, Chinese and Russian)
- ♦ Asian Bridge Program
(operated by the Sapporo Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
Support for overseas students wishing to work for Japanese companies, by means of recruitment support, business English training and internships with enterprises through academia-industry cooperation.
Hokkaido University, Hokkaido University of Education, Otaru University of Commerce, Muroran Institute of Technology, Kitami Institute of Technology, Sapporo University, Seisa Dohto University, Hokkai-Gakuen University, Hokkaido Information University, Hokkaido Bunkyo University, Tomakomai Komazawa University